Product Development Specialist
WHO WE ARE :
Jonas Paul Eyewear is an award-winning e-commerce company aiming to provide function and new form to children’s vision with fun, fashion-forward eyewear options. JPE was founded by Ben and Laura Harrison in an effort to find stylish eyewear for their visually impaired son, Jonas. Unfortunately, finding such options did not exist within the children’s optical market. Since its founding in 2013, JPE has been featured on NBC Today & Nightly News, The Wall Street Journal, INC 5000, Forbes, Redbook, and many other publications. It has garnered numerous awards for its social responsibility and design. Jonas Paul Eyewear also provides sight to those in need through its Buy Sight, Give Sight program, which has impacted over 934,702 children and families world-wide.
Jonas Paul Eyewear is looking for a seasoned Product Development Specialist to lead the development, design and sourcing of beautiful frames. In this collaborative role, you’ll use your development and strategic sourcing experience to translate our designs into final products, all while optimizing cost, quality, and lead time. We’ll count on you to help Jonas Paul Eyewear set and execute a strategy for frame and raw materials vendors that align with our customer base and growth targets. You’ll be primarily accountable for vendor development, negotiations, sourcing, production management, and reporting on vendor performance metrics. In addition to managing the timeline of new products and supporting our core business, you’ll seek new vendors that can help achieve our product and scalability goals.
The Product Development Specialist will report to the Director of Supply Chain.
WHAT YOU’ll DO :
- Create and build Jonas Paul’s short and long term product line strategy (including 3-year roadmap and seasonal strategies)
- Own end-to-end new product launches from insight to deployment, on time and in keeping with overall business objectives. Drive alignment across cross-functional partners. Identify and resolve roadblocks; pivot and drive shifts as needed
- Manage existing product portfolio, identifying and executing optimizations on existing product assortment. Consistently monitor performance of new launches and provide actionable recommendations to improve current and future launches
- Lead development of product concept and positioning for new product launches. Collaborate closely with cross-functional partners to ensure all elements of launch are in line with product launch strategy. Launch elements include but are not limited to: pricing, assortment, forecasts, naming, go-to-market strategy, and the unboxing experience
- Partner closely with the marketing team to ensure marketing strategies and tactics support the brand’s product strategies and features
- Create presentations for product, including presentations for internal teams as well as product “pitch” presentations for wholesale and private label opportunities
- New category strategy and development to advance brand position in the market.
- Idea generation, concept and product development for private label brands and partnerships.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the Optical market and customer base to identify target market and develop products accordingly.
- Deliver tangible growth in line with revenue and profitability targets through product, sourcing, and merchandising strategies
- Maximize category presence among current distribution channels and identify new product opportunities for existing customers and channels
- Partner with supply chain team to strategize and work through lead times
- Drive competitive analysis to inform product launch strategy. Stay abreast of market, consumer, and cultural trends, competitive activity / analysis
- Willingness to work irregular hours due to overseas suppliers and time zone constraints
- Support business-wide special projects and perform ad-hoc business analyses as needed
WHO YOU ARE :
- You are an exceptionally organized self-starter who can prioritize well in a high growth, hands off environment, and are able to think strategically and independently. You can take direction but work independently
- An excellent communicator (online and in person) who demonstrates strong cross-functional collaborative skills
- You can set strategy and vision, but you are not afraid to execute at a tactical level. There is no task too small or too big for you.
- Detail-oriented with super strong organizational and analytical skills
- Proficient in Mac, Google Drive, and Adobe Creative suite (for viewing technical drawings, combining files, and making edits, image editing & building graphics for presentations)
- You’re a great team player who can communicate and collaborate with cross-functional teams within a small and growing organization
- Photography skills (for product photography) a plus
- Positive, Positive, Positive
- Generally Awesome :)
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS :
- 3+ years of relevant experience in product design, development or product line management in a fast-paced environment
- Strong product acumen and a track record of taking products from insights to launch, embracing both big picture objectives and following through on details. You understand the role of different functions (e.g. product development, packaging design, creative) and their effect on product marketability
- Knowledge of trend forecasting and retail strategy
- Experience with operational and merchandising budgeting and forecasting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong understanding of the fashion or social enterprise space preferred
- Ability to maintain high standard of confidentiality and professionalism
- Optical experience a plus (not required)
- Estimated Start Date : Q2 2022
- Full Time & Competitive benefits package plus health, vision, dental insurance
- Compensation based on previous experience and expertise
- Based in Grand Rapids, MI
NEXT STEPS :If you are interested in applying for this position, please email a single PDF document containing a cover letter and a résumé to email@example.com with the subject line “Product Development Specialist [Applicant’s Name].”