Did you know that the first eight years of a child’s life are critical for eye development? Just because your doctor may say your child has great eyesight, that doesn’t mean to ignore the eyes and focus on other issues. Continue to maintain your child’s great eyesight by staying aware of any signs and implementing these eye safety tips in you and your child’s everyday routine.
Tip #1: Watch out for ANY of these symptoms and stop future eye problems in it’s tracks.
- Rubbing of eyes
- Poor hand-eye coordination
- Lack of concentration
- Constant headaches
- Haziness or clouding in the pupil
Tip #2: Feed them green vegetables
- Provide your child with a daily dose of fruit and vegetables
- Dark green, leafy vegetables will continue to keep your child’s eyes healthy. Spinach, and carrots are always a safe choice.
Tip #3: Protect eyes from the sun
- Children’s eyes are more sensitive to the sun, so when they decide to play outside on a gorgeous sunny day, make sure that your child’s eyes are protected by a broad-brimmed hat or a pair of sunglasses.
Tip #4: Visit your child’s eye doctor regularly, especially during infancy and childhood
- Infants should have their first comprehensive eye exam at 6 months of age.
- Children then should have additional eye exams at age 3
- Just before they enter the first grade — at about age 5 or 6.
Tip #5: We are in that generation where we all are constantly in front of a screen, even our children! Make sure they take regular breaks when working in front of a screen for a long period of time. (i.e., iPad, computer, television, cell phone, etc.) And make sure your children watch television from a safe distance!
Healthy vision is important to us. Glasses can only do so much, so it is up to you to ensure that you continue to keep your child’s eye safe and healthy, everyday. Even if they may have perfect sight and don’t require glasses, it is still important to remember these eye care tips for children to prevent future occurrences down the road.
For more information, check out All About Vision and stay in-the-know!
First comes safety, then comes stylish eyewear.
About Jonas Paul Eyewear
At Jonas Paul Eyewear, we design affordable glasses for kids with the right amount of style—something nearly impossible to find before we began. We also deliver right to your door. With seven trial pairs to a box, kids can try out different styles from the comfort of home. With frames plus lenses starting at just $79, you can style responsibly. You can also make an impact knowing a portion of each sale goes toward preventing childhood blindness around the world.